RELIGIOUS EDIFICES on plan

Church of St. John of Jerusalem Beyond the Walls

Description

The Knights Hospitaller (also called the Knights of Malta) were brought to Poznań by Duke Mieszko the Old. At the turn of the 12th and 13th c.) they built a commandry and a church dedicated to St. John the Baptist, or St. John of Jerusalem as he came to be called when the knights founded a hospital in Jerusalem. "Beyond the walls" is a reference to the location of the church in relation to the medieval stronghold. It is Poznań's second oldest shrine (after the cathedral) and one of the first examples of brickwork masonry in Poland. The groin vault in the presbytery is from the 13th c. The church was rebuilt in the Late Gothic style at the turn of the 15th and 16th c. The sacristy (with crow-stepped gables), the north aisle and the chunky campanile were added at the same time and the main structure received stellar vaulting. The Baroque Chapel of the Holy Cross from 1736 topped by a dome with a lantern adjoins the church on the south. Polychrome decoration from 1948 is the work of Stanisław Teisseyre. A Gothic triptych from the early 16th c. depicting St. Mary engaged in conversation with St. John the Baptist and St. Stanislaus in the central panel. Worthy of notice is the Late Gothic stone baptismal font from 1522. Adjoining the south Wall is the Chapel of the Holy Cross founded by commander Michał Stanisław Dąbrowski and protected by a Gothic grille from the 15th c. The miracle-working crucifix from the mid-seventeenth century in the Late Baroque main altar (1737), covered by the painting of the Sacred Heart. Knight commanders are buried in the vaults, among others Michał Stanisław Dąbrowski (d. 1740) and Andrzej Marcin Miaskowski (d. 1832).

Go back to list