Church of St Margaret the Maiden and Martyr (Filipińska Street)

There used to be a church in this area as early as in the first half of the 13th century. The Gothic structure existing today was probably built in the last quarter of the 15th century. The sacristy, the spire and St Barbara's Chapel were built shortly after. St Philip Nereusz's Chapel, adjoining the south wall, was added around 1650. The church was destroyed during the Swedish wars and rebuilt in 1658. Between 1671 and 1805 it was in the hands of the Philippine friars. Today it is a rectorial church in an archdiocese parish.
By the west wall there is a spire with its top part missing and behind it there is a Gothic stair gable with high blank windows. The single nave interior has a stellar vaulting with polychromy made between 1946-47. There is a pointed portal from the second half of the 14th century leading from the vestibule to the nave. The late Baroque interior dates back to the first half of the 18th century. In the chancel there is a painting of Our Lady with the Infant on a crescent, painted on a wooden plank in the early 17th century. In St Barbara's Chapel there is a painting of Madonna with the Infant surrounded by music - making angels from ca. 1630. The altar in the Chapel of St Philip Nereusz features a mid-18th century stucco relief depicting the patron saint in prayer. The gate in the wall surrounding the church comes from 1786.
Across from the church there is an old Philippine abbey, built in the years 1746-77. In 1900 this late Baroque structure was extended in the east by a wing whose elevation matches the style of the older part of the edifice.

This article has more than one page. Choose below next page, to read further