RELIGIOUS EDIFICES on plan

Church of St. Margaret the Virgin and the Martyr

Description

There was a shrine in Śródka before 1231 but the present church is from the 14th c. The Chapel of St. Barbara adjoining the church is from the 14th c., vaulting is from 16th c. and the tower (main portals from the 16th c., two portal arcades from the 15th c. and the bell from 1674) was erected even later. It replaced the narthex and obscured the imposing crow-stepped gable. The Chapel of St. Philip Neri along the south wall was built in around 1625. The church burnt down during the Swedish Deluge. Rebuilt in 1658, it lost its medieval character. It was used by the Oratorians in the years 1671-1805.

The single-nave church has Late Gothic stellar vaulting and interior with some Baroque elements added in the 18th c. The altar in the centre of the presbytery features an image depicting Mother of Jesus composed of a silver dress from the late 17th c. (removed from a painting on the side wall of the presbytery) and a face and hands that were actually painted. It is covered by a rendition of the Assumption from the early 18th c. A painting of Saint Mary with the Infant surrounded by a golden mandorla and standing on a crescent from the early 17th c. on the side wall of the presbytery, much venerated in the past. Two side altars from the 18th/19th c. in the nave and a pulpit and a baptismal font (with the scene of the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan) from the 18th c. A painting of Saint Mary with the Infant surrounded by angels playing instruments (ca. 1603) in the Chapel of St. Barbara. The main panel of the altar in the Chapel of St. Philip Neri features a bas-relief depicting the saint experiencing a vision and supported by an angel (18th c.). Organ loft and Neo-Gothic organ pipes from the second half of the 19th c. at the west end of the nave.

The church is surrounded by a low wall with a gateway and an inscription plate from 1786. Along the northwest side of the church stands the former oratory from the years 1746-77 supplemented with a new east wing in 1900.

Go back to list