RELIGIOUS EDIFICES on plan

Church of the Holy Saviour

Description

Built in the years 1866-69 to a design by August Stüler and Julius Hochberger for the evangelic parish of St. Paul established in 1868. Roman-Catholic church since 1945, parish church since 1950. It is a Neo-Gothic edifice with a spire: a tondo with a sculpture of Christ's head above the main portals. Stellar vaulting in the nave and the presbytery, groin vaulting in the aisles. Wooden galleries are the remains of the original interior. A sculpture of the Passion from 2000 (a work by Lech Czuba) and a sandstone Neo-Gothic baptismal font (1867-69) in the presbytery, organ pipes from 1912 at the opposite end. Two altarpieces at the ends of the aisles: the altar of the Immaculate Heart of Mary on the left and the altar of the Divine Mercy on the right embellished with paintings of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour and Saint Jude Thaddeus.

Go back to list