Church of the Most Precious Blood of Jesus
Once a tenement in the cellar of which communion wafers were allegedly profaned in 1399 (the legend of the miracle of the three hosts). It was converted into a two-storey shrine by the Carmelites in the 17th c. (they used the original Gothic walls and the cellar with the water well). The present appearance is from the early 20th c. Fragments of Gothic walls can be seen on the façade and the Neo-Baroque portal from 1906 is surmounted by a Late Gothic sculpture of the Madonna with the Infant from the turn of the 15th and 16th c. removed from the dismantled house no. 100 in the Old Market Square
The shrine has a single nave, Baroque furnishings and groin vaulting. The altars are from 1733; worthy of notice is the high altar with the paintings of the Man of Sorrows and Jesus Christ Merciful (that can be hidden behind coverings) and rich carving on top (God the Father among Angels ). A number of paintings from the 18th c (also in the side altars) depicting, among others, the Annunciation and St. Michael the Archangel. Of special prominence is the Late Gothic sculpture The Lamentation over the Dead Christ from the early 16th c. Organ loft with openwork baluster from the 18th c. and neo-classical pipe organ from the 19th c. along the west front. Polychrome decoration on the vault of the nave by the Franciscan friar Adam Swach from 1735 (the miracle of the hosts, Eucharist miracles and images of saints).
The Chapel in the vaults was rebuilt in the years 1914-16 to a design by Marian Andrzejewski. Sculptures of St. Adalbert, Stanislaus the Bishop, Kazimierz and Stanislaus Kostka over the water well where, as legend has it, the communion wafers were drowned. Water from the well is considered to have some miraculous qualities that can cure eye ailments.Go back to list