It was built between 1785-87 at the suggestion and with the financial backing of Kazimierz Raczyński, governor of Great Poland and president of the local Good Order Committee. In the early 19th century a side wing, standing slightly back, was added. Its design was made by the Warsaw architect Jan Chrystian Kamsetzer. The Guardhouse housed the city guard and later the police.
The front of this one - storey building has a colonnaded niche. The top of the attic storey is adorned with sandstone sculptures. The composition above the entrance depicts two women with long musical horns holding a shield with Poland's coat of arms. On the left there is a cartouche with the coat of arms of the Nałęcz Raczyński family; on its right, the coat of arms of Poznań.
Nowadays it houses The Museum of Wielkopolska Uprising 1918-1919, a branch of Wielkopolska Museum of Liberations Fightings.