FOUNTAINS AND WATER WELLS on plan

Hygieia water well

Description

Edward Raczyński financed the construction of waterworks in the city and in 1841 he placed a water well at the junction of Marcinkowskiego Avenue and 23 Lutego Street and embellished its pedestal with a medallion depicting Vincent Priessnitz, the propagator of hydrotherapy. When the well was moved to the opposite side of the avenue (at the junction with Podgórna Street) in 1908, it was adorned with the statue of Hygieia, the Greek goddess of health. The statue was designed by Albert Wolf. In 1971 the well was placed in Wolności Square in front of the Raczyński Library.

Go back to list