It was the first institution of higher education in Poznań. It was founded in 1518 by the Poznań bishop Jan Lubrański, who provided for it financially together with king Sigismund the Old. It flourished in the second quarter of the 16th century; that was when the eminent German humanist Krzysztof Hegendorfer lectured here. However, the academy did not have the right to grant academic titles. Its graduates included the doctor Józef Struś; the poet Klemens Janicki; mathematician, astronomer and university professor in Krakow and Vilnius, Jan Śniadecki. The academy ceased to exist in 1780, when it merged with the Great Poland Academy (formerly Jesuit College) to form the Poznań Faculty School. After it was closed, the buildings served as a capitular library and a seminary. It has been the Archdiocese Archives since 1926. The four - wing building with a small courtyard was built in the years 1518-30. After many renovations, it finally got its present form in 1924-25 after a thorough restoration carried out according to a design by Kazimierz Ruciński. Between 1974-79 the plaster has been removed to reveal the facade wall. There are two small plaques near the entrance with the coat of arms of Godziemba and the name of Bishop J. Lubrański.