St. Joseph's Church
Built in the years 1644-78 (to a design by Krzysztof Bonadura the Older and Jerzy Catenazzi). After the suppression of the monastery by the Prussians it was used by the military. Rebuilt inside after 1840 to a design by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, it was converted into the garrison evangelic church and functioned as the garrison Roman Catholic church when Poland regained independence. Renovated in 1945 by the Discalced Carmelites who took over the church and the monastery.
A Baroque shrine with a nave and two aisles and an imposing front façade. Barrel vaulting with lunettes in the nave and the presbytery, sail vaulting in the bays, barrel vaulting in the transept. The interior is from the years 1984-88. Painting of St. Joseph with the Infant in the central panel of the main altar; two chapels flank the presbytery which are separated from the nave by arcades. Paintings by Albert Tschautsch from 1878 in the transept: Homage of the Shepherds and Jesus Falls under the Weight of the Cross. The pulpit in the nave consists of Baroque parts from the churches in Obrzycko and Maciejowa near Jelenia Góra.
In the narthex: part of the tombstone of one of the main benefactors of the monastery, Wojciech Konarzewski (d. 1668), with a marble inscription plate and the effigy of the deceased in armour, and a plague from 1989 commemorating Mikołaj Skrzetuski (1610-73), the prototype of Jan Skrzetuski from Henryk Sienkiewicz's novel With Fire and Sword, buried in the vaults. Hermitage of St. Rafał Konarowski in the cellars. A monument to St. Rafał Konarowski was unveiled in the early 1990s in front of the church.
The construction of the monastery was completed in the mid-eighteenth century. Restoration after war damage continued until 1966.Go back to list