FOUNTAINS AND WATER WELLS on plan

Well of a Bamberg Woman

Description

The stone water well standing between the Weigh-house and the Town Hall is adorned with a statue of a Bamberg woman. The statue was made by Josef Wackerle in 1915 and modelled after Józefa Gadymska from Winiary, one of the Bamberg settlers. The well had been relocated several times: it stood in front of the merchant houses, near the west wall of the town hall in the years 1929-45, in Mostowa Street since 1964. It was again placed in the Old Market Square in 1977.

Go back to list