Henryk Sienkiewicz Literary Museum, branch of the Raczyński Library
The Henryk Sienkiewicz Literary Museum was established in 1978 through the efforts of Ignacy Moś, a collector of memorabilia associated with this Nobel prize laureate. The museum is housed in a 16th-century townhouse in the Old Market Square, which was once owned by Giovanni Battista di Quadro. Its displays are designed to reflect the atmosphere of the time in which Henryk Sienkiewicz lived and created his literary works. It features the writer's surviving period furniture, works of art and memorabilia. The most valuable exhibits include a replica of the Nobel Prize medal awarded to Sienkiewicz in 1905, a cast of the writer's right hand, his post-mortem mask, his manuscripts and his draft stage designs made for the motion picture In Desert and Wilderness. A showpiece of the museum's collection is its library of over 4,500 volumes, which includes translations of works by Sienkiewicz into Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic, Vietnamese and other languages.
Tue. - Fri. 9am.-5pm.
Sat. 9am. - 4 pm.
Admission free on
SaturdayGo back to list