The Crypt for Eminent Wielkopolskans in St Adalbert's Church
St Adalbert's Church (Św. Wojciech), built in the 19th century, overlooks the city from St Adalbert's Hill. In front of the church there is wooden, shingled-covered bell-tower dating from the 16th and 17th century, the oldest wooden construction in the city.
The Crypt for Eminent Wielkopolskans in St Adalbert's Church came into existence in 1923 on the initiative of Rev. Bogusław Kościelski and is modelled on the Skałka Crypt in Kraków. At that time the ashes of eminent citizens of Wielkopolska started to be brought to the church.
Only after phone +48 61 851 90 12 or +48 793 842 860
In the south nave of the church itself lies the sarcophagus of Karol Marcinkowski, the 19th -century doctor and philanthropist. The ashes are interred in the Crypt include those of: Józef Wybicki, composer of the Polish National Anthem; Antoni Kosiński, the cofounder of Dąbrowski's Legions; Heliodor Święcicki - the founder and first Vice-Chancellor of Poznań University; Tadeusz Szeligowski - composer and the heart of General Jan Dąbrowski.Go back to list