The University of Physical Education and the City of Poznań invite to an open lecture entitled: "Epigenetic Perspective of Human Performance: The Power of the Mind" which will be delivered by Prof. Vassilis Klissouras, FACSM, FECSS from Greece, representing the National Kapodistrian University of Athens.
The professor is a world-famous specialist in the scope of physical effort physiology. The lecture will take place in the Auditorium of the University of Physical Education on 25 November 2015 at 12pm.
During the lecture, the professor will attempt to answer the question of how the power of the mind of an athlete may affect expression of genes conditioning his/her physical capabilities.
Professor Vassilis Klissouras has worked since 1982 as the professor of ergophysiology at the Faculty of Sports Medicine and Biology of Physical Activity at the National Kapodistrian University in Athens (since 2004 as a retired professor). Before that, in the years 1967-1982 he lectured at the McGill University in Montreal, Canada. He also performs the function of a visiting professor at the University of Liege (Belgium) University of Jyvaskyla (Finland) University of Tokyo (Japan) University of Zagreb (Croatia) and University of Beijing (China). In addition, the professor performed such functions as:
- Dean of the Faculty of "Physical Education and Sport Science" (1982-2001)
- Head of the Institution of "Sport Medicine and Biology of Exercise" (1982-2004)
- Head of the "Ergophysiology & Ergometry Laboratory" (1982-2004)
- Manager of postgraduate studies in "Biology of Exercise" (1998-2004)
- Member of the University Senate at: University of Athens (1983-2001)
The most important scientific achievements of professor Klissouras are pioneering tests on twins conducted in the early 1970s, concerning the effect of genetics on sport capabilities in people. He is the author of more than 100 original scientific works within the scope of physiology, especially related to the genetic base of human efficiency.
Professor Klissouras received the Honorary Doctoral Degree of the Aristotle University in Saloniki (2009), he is a member of the "American College of Sports Medicine" (since 1973), as well as the "European College of Sport Science" (since 1997). He also performs the function of a coordinator or member of many expert teams for modernization of European curricula in the field of sciences on physical culture at many European Universities (since 1996). He is the co-founder of "European Network of Sport Sciences in Higher Education", and is active in numerous scientific associations:
- Founder of the "European College of Sport Science"; secretary general (1995-2000)
- Board Member of the "European Federation of Sports Medicine" (since 2004)
- Member of the development commission of the "International Federation of Sports Medicine" (since 2010)
- President Founder of the "Hellenic Society of Sport Science (since 2000)
The lecture of professor Klissouras is addressed to a wide group of sport enthusiasts and people involved in analysis of biological and environmental foundations of human efficiency and fitness. It will be particularly interesting for specialists in the field of sport (coaches, instructors) and representatives of sciences on physical culture, as well as biological and medical sciences, but also physically active inhabitants of Poznań who would like to consciously work on their fitness.