The Adam Mickiewicz University and the City of Poznań wish to invite you to another open lecture delivered by Professor Nico Schrijver from the Leiden University in the Netherlands. The lecture entitled "The Role of Non-Permanent Members on the UN Security Council. Key Players or Lame Ducks? An International Law Perspective" will be held on March 5th, 2017 (Monday) at 3.30 p.m. at the Faculty of Law and Administration in the Professor Zygmunt Ziembiński Aula of Collegium Iuridicum Novum at Al. Niepodległości 53 in Poznań.
Professor Nico Schrijver is an internationally renowned Dutch lawyer, a great scientific authority and having an extremely strong position in international relations, an expert in international law, international organisation law, peace and security (including sanctions and the use of force), human rights and labour law, international dispute resolution law, international economic law, sustainable development and good governance.
Nico Schrijver was born on 21 May 1954 in Warmenhuizen, the Netherlands. For years, he has been holding numerous, honourable functions, the most important of which are the following:
- State Councillor, with special responsibility for human and employee rights, constitutional law, administrative law, EU law, international law and the law of international organisations (since 1 September 2017),
- Head of the Department of Public International Law and Director of the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies at the University of Leiden,
- a member of the Institute of International Law (the most elite association of international lawyers from all over the world, Professor Skubiszewski was also a member of this Institute) since 2007, and its President since 2017,
- member of the Curatorium of The Hague Academy of International Law since 2016,
- President of the Dutch Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe in the years 2015-2017.
- member of the Executive Committee of the Inter-Parliamentary Union since 2014,
- member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the OSCE since 2013,
- member of the Senate of the Dutch house of parliament from 04.2011 to 09.2017 and chairperson of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Developent Co-operation,
- member of the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (vice-chair during 2011-2012),
- during 2010-2012, the President of the International Law Association, London, and currently its honourary Vice President
- since 2010, a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences and the chairperson of its Section on Legal Sciences and chair of the Committee on Freedom of Academic Pursuit,
- member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration, The Hague, since 2004,
- honorary visiting professor of The European Union and Co-operation with Developing Countries, Institut des études européennes, Université libre de Bruxelles, during 1995-2017.